The BC Bereavement Helpline is looking for a Community Research & Development worker who is eligible to participate in the Canada Summer Jobs program (please refer to eligibility information below). This position will work closely with the BCBH Program Manager to update the BCBH Resource Directory, answer the Helpline and provide grief and loss support to bereaved individuals, as well as to help with other administrative tasks in order to contribute to the improvement of our services for the bereaved, professionals, members and caregivers. Canada Summer Jobs is a Government of Canada initiative that provides fudning to help employers create summer job opportunities. To be eligible to participate in the CSJ initiative, individuals must:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the start of employment
- are a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the immigration and Refugee Protection Act, and
- is legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations
- international students are not eligible. Recent immigrants are eligible if they are Canadian Citizens or permanent residents.
- Knowledge: Education, skills and experience in administration and operations, including computers. Familiarity with community service organizations, bereavement services and resources.
- Skills: Comfort communicating with bereaved individuals over telephone and email. Successful and tactful abilities in multi-tasking, administration, English written and verbal communication, attention to detail and computer literacy.
- Experience: Office work, preferably a non-profit organization or small business.
- Person Suitability: Highly organized, consistent, passionate, energetic; Ability to empathize with those who are grieving, have disabilities, language barriers and cultural challenges.
Terms and Compensation: $16/hour, 35 hour work week.
Work Schedule: Monday - Friday, 7 hours between the hours of 9am - 5pm with flexibility for breaks.
Apply: We invite you to submit your Cover Letter and Resume by May 10 to email@example.com.
Start Date: Wednesday, May 15 2019
End Date: Thursday, July 11 2019
We thank all candidates for their interest in BCBH. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview.
BCBH regularly works with and places practicum students. Please contact our Program Manager, Jessica, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 604-738-9950 if you would like to place a student with us.
Bereavement Support is an Essential Service ™ and we are continually looking for dedicated volunteers to work with our team. Volunteers assist us with the following important tasks:
• Answering the Helpline and providing compassionate listening or referrals for bereaved callers
• Assistance with event coordination (attendance at conference booths, marketing and promotion, logistics and planning)
• Social media updates on Facebook and Twitter
• Assistance with support group and training program coordination (communications, marketing and promotion, logistics and planning)
• Administrative duties, and more!
Volunteers are trained on the history of BCBH, the key elements of grief and mourning, and varying theories regarding grief and loss, plus training on compassionate listening and referral making. Volunteer trainings are free of cost and are scheduled regularly throughout the year and according to demand.
Volunteer shifts are four hours long from 9am – 1pm or 1pm – 5pm, Monday through Friday. Shift schedules are coordinated based on available time slots and what works best with the volunteer’s schedule. Please note that a minimum of a 6-month commitment is requested. Volunteer activities take place at our office in Downtown Vancouver.
If you are interested in volunteering for BCBH, please download the following application, save it to your computer, fill it out and email to email@example.com.
Help move BCBH into the next 30 years and apply to become a board member. We are seeking volunteers or professionals who have a link to those coping with grief and loss, event or fundraising experience. Board terms are 3 years. Please email the Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.