Traumatic Loss Support Group Facilitator Training: May 7th & May 20th, 2021
The BC Bereavement Helpline has converted its popular 2-day training program that teaches the basics of facilitating a closed, 8-week support group for traumatic loss; homicide, suicide, a loss due to substance use (or any sudden, unexpected loss) into an online format.
The complete online course now consists of six modules; two are live Zoom presntations and four are online study-at-home content created specifically for this course:
- Zoom 3 hour Live Session - Introduction to trauma and support groups
- Online Content - Understanding grief and trauma
- Online Content - Trauma-informed facilitation
- Online Content - Supporting Traumatic Bereavement
- Online Content - Creating a safe and cohesive support group
- Zoom 3 hour Live Session - Facilitating the BC Bereavement Helpline curriculum
A certificate of completion is issued to anyone fully completing this online course.
Each training session will take place over a 2 week time period with Module 1 session starting the course and Module 6 session completing the course.
Cost: $350 per person plus 5% GST = $367.50
Dates: May 7th & May 20th LIVE Zoom Sessions. Attendance at both LIVE sessions is required for a completion certificate.
Sign Up: CLICK HERE
Having sign up issues? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The course goals are:
- Increase participant understanding of grief as a life process and how traumatic loss is a unique grief experience.
- Help course participants develop an action plan to implement and facilitate a support group informed by the BCBH support group model.
- Help course participants provide support to anyone coping with traumatic grief and loss, focusing first on the trauma and then on the grief.
- Build a community of practice for course participants to connect about their efforts to support their community members in living their lives.
This program uses the BCBH Traumatic Loss Support Group model as its core example. However, these learnings can be applied to help anyone who works with traumatically bereaved individuals in a peer setting, 1-1 support or with general population bereavement groups. We welcome laypersons, registered professionals, counselors, and anyone who is interested in supporting the bereaved. The BCBH closed 8-week support group model is not a counseling model. Rather, this training is based on working to bring those with common lived experiences together to reduce isolation and promote healing through connection. Being with others who have experienced a similar loss has proven to break isolation and create long-term networks of support. We strive to train for bereavement support that can provide a safe, non-judgmental, compassionate environment for those coping with traumatic loss(es) to share their stories and learn essential grief and mourning survival tools in order that they can integrate their loss into their daily lives and be able to live a happy and healthy life.
Upcoming Online Training Sessions:
Spring 2021: May 7th - Module 1 LIVE Session 9:00am - 12:00pm & May 20th - Module 6 LIVE Session 9:00am - 12:00pm
We are interested in your feedback regarding the timing of our sessions. Do you need something outside of 9-5 work hours? Let us know! Email email@example.com.
Attendance in both LIVE modules is required to obtain a completion certificate.
If you are interested in becoming a support group facilitator, or learning more about traumatic loss and how it affects grief, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 604-738-9950 or toll-free 1-877-779-2223 and we'll get you on our contact lists.
Public Grief Education
The BC Bereavement Helpline also offers public education seminars on how to cope with grief and loss for schools, employee groups, governments, non-profits, or other institutions. We can customize our presentation to your needs. Honorariums are always welcomed, however we can work with your budgets. Please call 604-738-9950, 1-877-779-2223 or email email@example.com for more information or if you wish to schedule a presentation at your work place or organization.