Traumatic Loss Support Group Facilitator Training
THe BC Bereavement Helpline is in the process of converting its popular 2-day training program that teaches the basics of facilitating a closed, 8-week support group for traumatic loss; homicide, suicide or a loss due to substance use to an online format.
The course will consist of six modules; two are live and four are online content created specifically for this course:
- Live Session - Introduction to trauma and support groups
- Online Content - Understanding grief and trauma
- Online Content - Trauma-informed facilitation
- Online Content - Supporting Traumatic Bereavement
- Online Content - Creating a safe and cohesive support group
- Live Session - Facilitating the BC Bereavement Helpline curriculum
We anticipate each full training session will take place over a 2-week time period.
Cost: $350 per person
The course goals are:
- Increase participant understanding of grief as a life process and how traumatic loss is a unique grief experience.
- Help course participants develop an action plan to implement and facilitate a support group informed by the BCBH support group model.
- Help course participants provide support to anyone coping with traumatic grief and loss, focusing first on the trauma and then on the grief.
- Build a community of practice for course participants to connect about their efforts to support their community members in living their lives.
BCBH Traumatic Loss Support Groups are lead by trained facilitators with bereavement support experience and education. We strive to ensure that at least one facilitator per group (out of 2) has lived experience. We welcome registered professionals and counselors, however this closed 8-week support group model is not a counseling model. Rather, we work to bring those with common lived experiences together to reduce isolation and promote healing through connection. Being with others who have experienced a similar loss has proven to break isolation and create long-term networks of support. We strive to train for support groups that can provide a safe, non-judgmental, compassionate environment for those coping with a traumatic loss to share their stories and learn essential grief and mourning survival tools in order that they can integrate their loss into their daily lives and be able to live a happy and healthy life.
Upcoming Online Training Sessions:
We anticipate the online Traumatic Loss Support Group Facilitator training program will be ready in March 2021.
If you are interested in becoming a support group facilitator, or learning more about traumatic loss and it affects grief, please contact us at email@example.com, or call 604-738-9950 or toll-free 1-877-779-2223 and we'll get you on our contact lists.
Public Grief Education
The BC Bereavement Helpline also offers public education seminars on how to cope with grief and loss for schools, employee groups, governments, non-profits, or other institutions. We can customize our presentation to your needs. Honorariums are always welcomed, however we can work with your budgets. Please call 604-738-9950, 1-877-779-2223 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or if you wish to schedule a presentation at your work place or organization.